Wednesday, June 12, 2013

God bless you, Pop. Go rest high...


I
When the Virginia Flaggers were formed, almost two years ago, I came to know of PoP Aaron when Billy Bearden suggested I write him and tell him about what I was up to.  PoP published my story as "Virginia Belle Needs Help"...

http://shnvalerts.blogspot.com/2011/10/virginia-belle-needs-help.html

...and word quickly spread through the Heritage community.   Thanks in large part to his help, what began as one woman taking a stand has now grown into a nationally recognized organization, with hundreds having joined us in our efforts, and hundreds more lending their support.   

I was very grateful for his support, but as I got to know PoP, found that the real treasure was in the friendship that blossomed with this most dedicated warrior.

Certainly, his record of standing against those who would attack our Heritage speaks for itself.  For years, he has been a tireless fighter, working mostly behind the scenes and without recognition, which if you knew PoP, was pretty much how he wanted it. 

Having recently lost my own Father,  PoP became a surrogate father to me.  He was my mentor, teacher, and spiritual counselor.  PoP had the kind of Faith...simple and unwavering...that I pray others see in me.  Throughout his illness, he told me on many occasions that he was quite ready to see his Savior...but would like just a little more time to put a  few more scalawags, traitors, and Southern Heritage haters in their place...if the good Lord saw fit.

Today, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to meet PoP, and share some very special moments with him.  One of his dreams was realized when the Tennessee Flaggers formed and I was there for their first flagging.  Although I was honored to be a part of the genesis of that group, I would be less than honest if I did not admit that there was something even more special pulling me to Tennessee that day...the chance to meet and speak with PoP Aaron.



I know PoP would not want much to made of his passing, and I want to honor his wishes, but I could not let him slip from this earth without sharing with others what he meant to me.  I intend to do my best to follow in the huge footprints he has left behind...by living a Godly life, inspiring others by lifting them up and encouraging them, and by NEVER, NEVER giving up the fight to defend our Southern Heritage.

PoP called me "Little Sister".  He will be greatly missed on this earth, but I am looking forward to the day when I will hear him call my name as I enter the gates. Go rest high, PoP...I'll see you soon.  

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14-  "But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve, as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus."






2 comments:

David Tatum Jr said...

THE muffled drum's sad roll has beat
The soldier's last tattoo;
No more on Life's parade shall meet
That brave and fallen few.
On Fame's eternal camping-ground
Their silent tents are spread,
And Glory guards, with solemn round,
The bivouac of the dead.

(From) http://www.poetry- archive.com/o/the_bivouac_of_the_dead.html

Jimmy Shirley said...

Susan,
Pop was one of THE FIRST persons I ever encountered on this here new-fangled contraption called "the Internet". Ever since, he has been one of my inspirations. I have long admired, and respected, him from afar. On and off again, we corresponded over the years. True to your assessment of him, he never betrayed one word of the condition of his health to me. Then why would he?
A bit surprisingly because I never met him nor talked to him on the phone, I grieve for the loss of this man in a way mayhaps not comprehended by ordinary people. I suspect you among others will.
Go in peace, noble warrior. Surely when you see the great Stonewall and Lee, they will say, upon greeting ye, "Well done, great and noble warrior."