Thursday, August 25, 2016

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHESTER I-95 FLAG?


WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHESTER I-95 FLAG?

Thank you for your inquiry. We have been overwhelmed by the number of citizens who have contacted us, upset because they passed the site and did not see the flag flying. Our favorite messages are from those who say the salute it every time they pass by.

Several weeks ago, we began the process of extensive site improvements at our I-95 Chester Flag Site. The 50' flag pole needed repair and was removed. The site work is scheduled to be completed this fall and the flag will return. A re-dedication ceremony is planned.

The I-95 Chester flag site was the first Highway Memorial Battle Flag raised in the Commonwealth. Since it was raised on September 28, 2013, we have added 25 more to the skyline in Virginia. 14 of those are located in and around Danville, where members of Danville City Council voted to remove a 3x5 Third National Confederate Flag from the Confederate monument on the grounds of the Sutherlin Mansion, the Last Capitol of the Confederacy.

We have several sites currently under construction, including two in Charlottesville, where Charlottesville City Council wants to tear down the Robert E. Lee Monument, and will be scouting for sites in Portsmouth and Alexandria should they attempt to remove or in any way altar the Confederate monuments there. We are also watching the situation in Fairfax very closely, where a small group of agitators has pressured the school board into forming a commission to explore the possibility of changing the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School, in spite of the fact that students, alumni, and members of the community are overwhelmingly opposed to the change that would cost the citizens of Fairfax an estimated 3/4 of a million dollars.

The Virginia Flaggers Highway Memorial Battle Flags are dedicated to the Glory of God and our flags fly in memory and honor of our Confederate dead. They also serve as a reminder that there are still many of us with the blood of our Confederate ancestors flowing through our veins who will not sit idly by while the honor and memory of our Confederate Veterans is attacked...and will stand up to the politically motivated bullies who want to erase every vestige of our Confederate history and heritage from the Commonwealth.

1 comment:

S. P. Gambone said...

Here's a piece of US-black history the PC are trying to erase. The words of a 101 year old Confederate black soldier, Earl Jerdon, who attended the Tulsa UCV reunion in 1918. His words:

“Well this is how it was. General Nathan Bedford Forrest sent out a call for 15,000 Negro soldiers. The doctor came to me and asked me if I wanted to go. I said sure, and enlisted that day. No, he didn't say that I had to go. He treated all of us fine. I started training under General Beauregard and before I had been training four days I was made a member of the General's bodyguard. I went through the whole war and never received a scratch.”

"Were you a servant?", he was asked.

"Yeh, I served with a gun and two pistols," --Confederate black soldier Earl Jerdon